Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Hi, my name is Four Kubicek

In my humble opinion, one of the strangest things in the world is maternal/paternal predisposition. I went to dinner with some friends last night (mmmm Chili's) and of course immediately noticed all the cute babies near me. Two of the three guys also liked to look at the babies and kind of even did that awkward-across-the-restaraunt-smile-and-wave thing that everyone does and probably annoys the parents of the baby. And the waiter who's trying to serve you while you ignore them going, "Hi!! Hi there! Hi!" Two of them were cool with the fact that my baby sense has been in overdrive recently. (I blame the snowman onsie I saw in JCPenny's.) And the third thinks that puppies are cuter than babies.

You read correctly. He thinks PUPPIES are cuter than BABIES. And yes, we are friends somehow. Anyways, we started joking with him about how he's going to end up with the most kids out of all of us. Which lead to us joking about what a terrible father he would be (not really, just in this situation) and how he would just name his children by numbers. The first born would be One, the second Two, Three, etc., etc. Which got me thinking about maternalism(?). Why are some people so sure they don't want children and others so sure they do? Why do I physically want to have a baby, when the thought of a serious relationship (let alone the "M" word) and children FREAKS ME THE FUCK OUT? (Pardon my french)

Weird stuff, eh?

No comments: