Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I'm Plagarzing Myself

But it's from Myspace. And No one reads Myspace.
Why are we (we being the book freaks who read, nay, devour literature at a surprising if somewhat rabid rate) so enamored with books? The beauty of the prose, the complexity (or lack thereof) of the characters, the ludicrousness of the situations, the twists and turns of the plot... it's all intoxicating in the most glorious of fashions. But why? What is it about books that touch us so deeply and profoundly? Is it because it satiates our perverse need to be someone else, live other lives? Is it a sick way to cut ourselves down or build ourselves up? I'm not lucky enough to be like Bella, she has Edward. Or: well, I certainly have it better than Kartik. To be outcasted like that and without family? 'Tis a shame indeed... Or is it the town gossip in all of us that delights in being able to see the thoughts and actions of others in a most candid way? Is it their (their being books, of course) ability to take us places we've never even dare imagine for fear of reality becoming that much more jolting? I don't know. I don't know, but I do so love to read.

Why are we (we being those who listen) so affected by music? What is it about the plaintive reverberations of a violin string that brings tears to the eyes, each an individual, pearlescent reverberation of former pain and sympathy? What is it about a mad guitar rif that brings even the most painfully shy kid shockingly and animatedly to life? What is it about the smooth texture of the piano keys that heals the heart's wounds? What is it about the guitar strings that deepens them? Why is it that a beautiful melody can evoke emotions you never even knew you possessed? What is it about lyrics (the prose of song, you could say) that bridge that ever-shifting and ever-evasive gap between heart and mind? Why is it that music is so powerful in the embodiment of our emotions? Born from the heart of God and carried to earth on the sweet beat (ha) of the angels' wings, music is the universal language. But why? Why can people with seemingly NOTHING in common be so similarly effected by song? I don't know. I don't know, but I do so love music.

Why are we (we being adolescents and, well, human) so strange when it comes to relationships? Please, allow me to give you a brief example of my idea world:
Boy: Hello. My name is Boy.
Girl: Hello, Boy. I'm Girl.
Boy: You know, girl. You're really pretty and I think I heard you make a reference to Heart of Darkness earlier, which means you must be smart.
Girl: If you understood my somewhat vague reference, then you must get me. I mean really get me.
Boy: I also find you smoking hot.
Girl: The sentiment is returned seven-fold, sir.
Boy: Most excellent. Would you like to make out, date, and eventually get married?
Girl: Why, yes, that I would. Do you like chocolate?
Boy: I love chocolate. We must elope at once, you are the one for me.
Girl: I will only honeymoon in Venice.
Boy: What other city is there?
Girl: I love you.
Boy: I love you.

OR, if 'twere a meeting of star-crossed lovers:
Boy: Hello, my name is Boy.
Girl: Hello, Boy. I'm Girl.
Boy: You know, Girl, you're really pretty, and I think I heard you make a reference to Mario Kart earlier. That must mean that you're tons of fun.
Girl: You heard correctly, sir.
Boy: I also find you smoking hot.
Girl: You are attractive too, but I'm not really feeling any chemistry.
Boy: Ah, unrequited love. Alrighty then. Thanks for not stringing me along for months and breaking my heart, thus leading me to a life of alcoholism and credit card debt.
Girl: You're welcome. May I point you in the direction of my friend? You are exactly her type.
Boy: Sure thing. Does she like chocolate?
Girl: She speaks practically of nothing else.
Boy: Goody! Take me to her at once! Anon!

See? No sentiments barred. No mind games. Not, of course, that I would actually want conversations to be like that, I just like the no-nonsense approach to making your feelings known at once. Here is a perhaps more concise version:

Ex.1-
Boy: I like you.
Girl: I like you.
Boy: Let's date.
Girl: Yes, let's.

Ex. 2-
Boy: I like you.
Girl: I don't really like you.
Boy: Cool.
Girl: Bye.

Why do we have to make it so HARD on ourselves? Not that I'm recommending ANY form of imitation of these conversations, ladies and gents, because they are quite capable of NEVER finding you a date, but I hope you understand what I'm driving at- straightforwardness is perhaps the most underrated character attribute of the century.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. But no FUN! Ha