Saturday, September 12, 2009

Why aren't there more songs concerning solfeggio?

So I just (and by just I mean 4 hours ago...) got back from day 1 of our Men&Women's Chorus "Retreat". I'm not sure why they chose to call it a "Retreat" when it's in the music school. On campus. I mean, sure it takes me 30 minutes to walk in the increasingly heavy rain, clutching ~42 cookies in one hand, the WORLD'S WORST UMBRELLA in the other, fighting ever little gust of wind... barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways... but that's no reason to call it a "Retreat". I'm even less sure why they marketed the "Retreat" as a social between M&WC when the first thing we did was sing warm ups... without talking to each other. Then we arranged ourselves alphabetically according to first name... without talking, using only sign language. It really helped us build our sound as a choir.

Then we split up, men in one room, women in another and worked on our respective music selections. Then we had dinner "together," meaning the girls sat together and the boys sat together on the other side of the room. Then we split back up. Then we came back "together" for dessert. Then we left. I feel like I know each and every member of the choir SO well.

Alright, I'm being a bit cynical. Because something marvelous DID happen at dinner. I noticed that below the noise of ~100 singers talking and eating, there was a song from Wicked being played. I glanced around and saw a man on the piano and a girl quietly singing beside him. I kept my eye on the pair, unsure of whether or not I could join in. Then Popular started up and I made a bee-line to the group, where two other girls and a couple of guys were now gathered. We sang. I sang loudly because, ya'll, that's my JAM. More people came, some to watch (I love impromptu performances that prove I am, indeed, cooler than the rest of these people) some to sing along. Song after song, we grew. For Good, A Whole New World, Colors of the Wind, I Just Can't Wait to be King, Hakkuna Mattata... We covered all the basics. And by basics, I mean the most amazing songs EVER.

Eventually we were broken up by one of our directors (RUDE.) but we vowed to get to The Little Mermaid tomorrow morning. I can't wait. That was truly the most fun I've had in a long time and I am completely obsessed with choir again. OBSESSED. And I met some of the coolest girls! Siiiiiigh... that's not the first time something magical has happened around a piano.

Regarding the cookies, they were a huge success and I'm pretty sure they made me more friends than my effervescent charm and sparkling wit. Which is fine by me! And I remembered to take pictures when I was almost finished so I'll post the few I got tomorrow as well as a link to the recipe. They are SO GOOD. Definitely going in the repertoire of special goodies.

And now, dear friends (/empty, desolate Internet), I must to bed, for I have another 30-minute hike into the wilderness for leg two of our "Retreat" tomorrow, and I have to leave in 6 and 3/4 hours.

Fair morrow!

No comments: